The Voxel Agents
Based in Melbourne, Australia
April 9, 2009
Press / Business Contact:
L2, 71-75 City Rd
Southbank 3006, VIC
+61 400 122 588
The Voxel Agents are developers of original hand-crafted games for “on-the-go” fun times. They are an independent team with six core members. They are one of the most exciting indie teams in Australia, and are situated in the game development hub of Melbourne. Creators of the smash hit Train Conductor series, Puzzle Retreat and the highly anticipated Time Project, The Voxel Agents are proud producers of much loved games by millions of fans worldwide.
The Voxel Agents began in early 2009 when three friends Simon Joslin, Matthew Clark and Tom Killen joined forces to exercise their passion for highly polished and focused gameplay. The three founders had studied together at Queensland University of Technology and won consecutively the 2007 and 2008 “48 Hour Game Making Challenge” before knowing they were onto something. In their first year they released the runaway hit game Train Conductor. Their second year continued the success when they picked up five awards: "Best Mobile Game" at the Independent Games Festival in China, "Best Game Audio" at Freeplay Festival, “Best New Business 2010” in the National NEIS Business Awards, “Startup / Rookie of the Year” at the MoMoMelbourne business awards night, and the “Tim Richards Award of 2010″ from Film Victoria. 2013 saw the continuation of their success with the release of their sophomore title Puzzle Retreat. It immediately gathered 1.2 Million downloads in it's first month, and players are raving about it with an average of 4.5 stars on both the App Store and Google Play.
Story of The Voxel Agents circa 2012 YouTube
14 Hour Game Making Session - beginnings of the Time Project YouTube
There are far more images available for The Voxel Agents, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Finalist of Main Competition" - IGF China 2015
- "Showcased in Korea" - Out of Index Experimental Games Fest, 2015
- "Best Visual Art Finalist" - Freeplay Festival, 2015
- "Best Design Finalist" - Freeplay Festival, 2015
- "Accessibility Award Winner" - Australian Game Developer Awards, 2013
- "Excellence in Design Finalist" - Australian Game Developer Awards, 2013
- "Studio of the Year Finalist" - Australian Game Developer Awards, 2013
- "Indie Prize Top 10 Award" - Casual Connect Singapore, 2013
- "Visual Art Award Finalist" - Freeplay Festival, 2013
- "Design Award Finalist" - Freeplay Festival, 2013
- "Best Mobile Game Winner - Train Conductor 2: USA" - Independent Games Festival China, 2010
- "Best Developer (the 'Tim Richards' Award) Winner" - Film Victoria, 2010
- "Best Game Audio Winner - Train Conductor" - Freeplay Festival, 2010
- "Best Game Design Finalist - Train Conductor" - Freeplay Festival, 2010
- "Rookie of the Year Winner" - MoMo Melbourne, 2010
- "Best New Business Winner" - National NEIS Awards, 2010
Simon and Henrik talk about the importance of being humble and having the humility to listen to people and understand where a game doesn’t work so that you can make it the best it can be. We found a great story about trusting and listening to your game-playing audience.
Small indie developers (and all of us) could learn a lot from their commitment and ongoing reflection and learning about the way people play games. They are a great team.
- Daniel Donahoo, Wired.com - GeekDad
- "The story of a studio that went from making a game no one bought to being one of Australia's indie successes. Its developers make it look easy, but it wasn't easy. Like Puzzle Retreat, the studio we see today is the result of years of sweaty and cash-strapped effort."
- Tracey Lien, Polygon
- "The Voxel Agents have been working in the mobile space for longer than most, with a number of very successful titles under its belt."
- Cam Shea, IGN
- "Australian game developers have seen great success in mobile gaming industry, with countless home-made titles propelling our local creators into the international spotlight. One such team of talented game developers is Melbourne-based The Voxel Agents, creators of the smash hit Train Conductor series."
- Anthony Capone, PALGN