The Voxel Agents
Based in Melbourne, Australia
The Gardens Between is a surreal puzzle adventure that follows best friends, Arina and Frendt, as they fall into a mysterious world of beautiful garden islands. The player can traverse back and forwards in time to discover each garden’s secrets and, along the way, reveal a story about friendship, childhood and growing up.
The Gardens Between has been described as “The Simplest Deep Game Possible” (hardcoregamer.com, 2017).
It has been selected and featured in several games festivals, awards and exhibitions across the world including IGF, Indie MEGABOOTH (PAX East, PAX West), Out of Index, ACMI, BIC Fest and PAX Aus Indie Showcase.
The Gardens Between, much like The Voxel Agents’ other titles, has been built with the ambition to create a game that anyone can play and enjoy. Our goal is to encourage careful, mindful and stress free exploration throughout the game while providing in-depth puzzles and challenges.
When making The Gardens Between we set out to build a world and tell a compelling story that players can connect to and understand, presenting a genuine and consistent universe that offers players of all age groups something to connect with on a personal level.
We aim to be respectful of the players time, to paint our environment with care and consideration and make The Gardens Between a restful, relaxing experience.
Art & Music:
Experience the Breathtaking Art & Music of The Gardens Between with our Album Length 'Ambient Slow Trailer' at relax.thegardensbetween.com
- A dreamy tale of adventure and exploration
- Backwards and forwards traversal of time makes cause and effect malleable
- Vibrant, storybook-like art style
- Hand-crafted puzzle design in a beautiful 3D world
- Free from language, designed for accessibility
- Meditative, ambient soundtrack by feature-artist Tim Shiel
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Finalist - Excellence in Visual Art (Winner TBD)" IGF Main Competition 2018
- "Indie Showcase" PAX Australia 2017
- "Winner - Excellence in Game Design" Busan Indie Connect (BICFest) 2017
- "Finalist - Grand Prix Award" Busan Indie Connect (BICFest) 2017
- "Finalist - Excellence in Art" Busan Indie Connect (BICFest) 2017
- "Finalist - Excellence in Experimental" Busan Indie Connect (BICFest) 2017
- "IndieMEGABOOTH Selection" PAX East & West 2017
- "Best of GOW" Game on Weekend 2016 - Kaohsiung Indie Game Festival
- "Finalist of Main Competition" IGF China 2015
- "Showcased in Korea" Out of Index Experimental Games Fest, 2015
- "Best Visual Art Finalist" Freeplay Festival, 2015
- "Best Design Finalist" Freeplay Festival, 2015
- "The 50 most anticipated games of 2018"
- Colin Campbell, Polygon
- "The Top Upcoming Video Games Of 2018 And Beyond"
- Erik Kain, Forbes
- "This is a game I simply can't wait to get lost in."
- Patrick Hancock, Destructoid
- "The team have gone above and beyond in evoking the smaller, somewhat forgettable aspects of youth."
- Brodie Fogg, Finder
- "A surrealist puzzle game [...], and an utterly enrapturing experience at that."
- Kyle Johnson, Pixel Judge
- "The time-traversal mechanic doesn’t just play into the puzzle elements of the game. It also functions to service this metaphor of nostalgia in which you’re going over the same memory over and over."
- Tina Amini, Mashable
- "Fun and creative. I think they've got an awesome indie title on their hands."
- , Bleeding Cool
- "Five Of The Coolest Indie Games At PAX West."
- Nathan Grayson, Kotaku
- "The 10 biggest announcements from PlayStation’s Paris Games Week 2017 keynote"
- Andrew Webster, The Verge
- "I’ll be keeping my eye on this one."
- Samuel Horti, Rock Paper Shotgun
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
About The Voxel Agents
The Voxels Agents create delightful games that unravel in surprising ways. Headquartered in Melbourne, the studio was founded in 2009 by Simon Joslin, Matthew Clark and Tom Killen to create games that kindle curiosity with a passion for highly focused gameplay. Among their accolades the studio and its games have been awarded for “Best Mobile Game”. “Best Game Audio”, and “Best New Business 2010” among others. The Voxel Agents first established their success with the release of Train Conductor and followed with Train Conductor 2 USA, Train Conductor World and Puzzle Retreat, with over 13 million global players enjoying Voxel Agent games. The team is set to release the highly anticipated title The Gardens Between in 2018.
More information on The Voxel Agents, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Gardens Between Credits
Artist and Illustrator
Programmer and Executive Producer
Josh Alan Bradbury
Designer and Animator
Writer and Producer